Welcome to Lesbirdsnest.com - John and Eva Bird on the M/Y 'Destiny'.
lesbirds@msn.com Contact Us Phone: 0044 (0)787 222 69 65 or 0033 (0)620 719 335

DESTINY DIARY 2012, Part 2.

The Aegean whine, Greek salad and a bit of Turkey on the side. - Part 2.
Drinks for all Him
Happy hour along the way. Malboro Man.
We were planning to cruise north through the Euripus channel (about 130 miles long) between Evia island and the Greek mainland, just north of Athens. On August 8th, we arrived in Chalcis, Chalkis, Chalkida, Halkida or Halkis, (nobody can agree on the spelling of this place) the main town on the island of Evia. Situated at the narrowest part of the channel, there is a opening road bridge which links the two sides and where the water current can rush through at up to 15km (9 miles) per hour! It is really interesting to watch the reversion of flow direction that happens about every 6 hours (it's tide like, but not really tidal and can't be predicted exactly and it doesn't slow down gradually and then restart in the other direction it just switches, one minute it's running at 5 knots northwards and 5 minutes later it's running at 5 knots southwards!). The bridge opens for boat traffic in the evenings only, so as not to disrupt the car traffic.
Chalkida North Chalkida Bridge Chalkida South
A view of the Euripus channel. Chalkida Bridge, showing the current. Chalkida looking south.
Coming from the south, we stopped in the marina /yacht just south of the town. Having moored Destiny on the 'visitors' pontoon, we walked to the Yacht club to check how long we could stay. We met the few members sitting at the club house, and were told we could wait as long as we wanted with no charge. John, being the chatty one, started to explain that we were looking for a yard for repairing our mast head which had been damaged earlier in the strong winds. That's when we met Nikos, who assured us that he could arrange everything we needed for the repair, including a crane to lift the mast and an engineer to do the stainless steel work. The 'marina' has 4 pontoons and each pontoon belongs to a different club (the Greek way). There is a motor boat club, a fishing boat club, the RIB club and the 'friendly club' - formally; the Chalkida's Skippers' Sailing Club whom we had met. They were on the central pontoon, we found later that we had chosen the best club, not only were all their members very friendly, but they had the best club house and were building a new shower/WC block. The following day we moved in front of the Club House, and prepared to dismast. The crane arrived on time, and after a lot of effort (the bolt through the tabernacle was difficult to move), and despite some language problems, the mast was moved onto the quay without mishap. Nikos had also arranged for the stainless steel man, Stavros, to visit us. Nikos had to leave but we found a new helping friend in Spyros Vasileiou who took over as our interpreter/helper/ best friend and coffee maker. Stavros, was very busy but he managed to design and build a small masterpiece.
Yacht Club Medussa Mast Head
Party time! Jelly fish, the size of dinner plates. The old and new mastheads.
Whilst the mast was lying on the quay side, we joined in with the yacht club evening activities. People were so helpful and in return John proposed to help any members who had any electronic problems on their boat, the first turned out to be Spyros who had some instrumentation problems. Then we met Yanis, the club secretary/treasurer and a very keen racer, John and he had a lot to talk about. The Chalkida's Skippers' Sailing Club is a very sociable club and members, especially Spyros (John called him the 'Coffee man' he made the best coffee, and I had few very good frappes) arrived every day for coffee in the morning/lunch time and then in the evening for coffee and sometimes dinner - food being brought in either by the members or take-away's. Despite the hard time they are have these people continue to be cheerful and enjoy their life. Whilst we were there, we were invited to some good evening feasts. First a sardines BBQ, the food was abundant and delicious, there was music and I even joined the girls for a bit of Greek dancing. Another visitor, Constantin, organized a 'kid BBQ' (that's baby goat, not the screaming type) again delicious and more than you could eat, and of course more Greek dancing and vino and lots of fun. We made ourselves comfortable on the quay, we had water and electricity, which meant we could have the air-conditioning, temperature in the cabin was in the 30 deg C. so it was great to have a cool night's sleep, despite the club dog barking at 5a.m. Since the mast was down, we took the opportunity to polish it, fit a new anchor light and replace some of the ropes. We met another Stavros, the shipchandler, very helpful and friendly,he has a shop not far from the marina but always dropped bits off if he was passing. Whilst John was playing on the mast, I did some painting maintenance, and some clearing. We also found that the kayak had completely rotted in the sun, so it had to be binned, which made some space on the boat.
Promenade Relax
Chalkida promenade. How the locals hang out.
But it was not all work, I walked to the town and got to know it well, there was a very long shopping street with lots of boutiques, a few supermarkets and I found a very good butcher and baker. Greek prices were higher than Turkish, but still better than France. Chalkida (as I choose to name it) was a nice town with a promenade along the waters edge with plenty of cafs and restaurants, Greek people spent a lot of time drinking coffee and chatting. But there were also buildings n ruins and graffiti's all around the town. On August 18TH, the crane came back and the mast was replaced. It was a lot quicker and easier than the dismasting. There were quite a lot of foreign visiting boats staying in the club by now with Spanish, German, Belgium, and even a boat from Chili. We were told we could leave Destiny here for the winter, it was tempting, being a friendly place, and a convenient train going directly to Athens. But it was only August and we had other places to go to before we stopped for the winter. Some friends, Ed and Sue, were coming to see us, in a week's time, so we arranged with the club to go away for a few days and then return to meet them in Athens. We sat with Spyros and our Greeek pilot book and he showed us all the places to visit and where the good anchorages were. On August 22nd we went to the port police, paid our Euro19 toll, and were told to be on VHF standby for the opening of the bridge between 9p.m. and 3a.m. We said our good byes and left the marina at 8p.m., dropped the anchor in the lagoon and waited, and waited, by midnight we were told on the VHF to get ready and it was 1a.m. when we finally went through, quite a stressful experience, John could not see very well because of all the lights on and around the bridge opening (traffic and town lights), and when we got through there was already a strong current against us. We tied-up along the promenade quay after the bridge, and despite the surge of adrenaline and the noise of the bars on the shore, I managed to get to sleep.
Rahes Kato Gatia Rahes
Pit stop in Rahes. A visit to Kato Gatia. Rahes village.
The following morning we left the quay again at 8a.m.and dropped the anchor in the next bay after the town. Having been stationary for so long, the propeller was very dirty and John had to dive to clean it (I get all the good jobs - Ed), then we continued up the channel. We had planned to go to the recommended harbour of Limni, but there was no way we could get in, it was a tiny little harbour, so instead we went to the other side of the channel and dropped the anchor in Nisis Atalantis, a perfect quiet place where we could have some peace and restful time. Whilst cooking dinner the gas ran out! (cooking, that is not physical). We had spent 2 weeks in a town and now in the middle of nowhere no gas! Crazy. So we had a Turkish and an Italian gas bottles but no Greek version (This is the EU right!), which meant that we had to buy a Greek one, and carry 3 bottles on board (N.B. These are big 26KG bottles, not the toy 'Camping Gas' types). After a deserved peaceful night (no dogs) in the middle of nowhere, we got up early in search of a gas bottle. We motored to the next village of Atalantis, the harbour was too shallow for us, so we dropped anchor outside and went ashore with the dinghy. We found a couple of fishermen who spoke some English and they told us that we should find a shop along the road. We started walking up the hill but didn't see any sign of a shop or a store only a few houses and a couple of empty tourist hotels. John was not convinced, but I insisted we went on and finally found a store (DIY: obvious!). We bought a bottle, but we needed a transport back to the port, a taxi was called but the driver did not understood why we wanted to take a gas bottle go to the harbour (he spoke no English) but in the end he realized we were on a boat, the bottle cost us Euro55 and the taxi another Euro5, but we could now go cruising with hot food.
Promenade Relax
Volos bay. Volos - A pretty place.
We were heading north trying to get to the bay of Volos. The channel was about 4 miles wide, the sea was calm, we were surrounded by beautiful green scenery with trees covering the hillsides. There were very few boats and most of those that we saw were in transit and not cruising. It's a very unspoilt area. When we reached the top of the island (Evia) the channel turns east to rejoin the sea. Here, we were met by a strong wind and choppy seas, coming from the sea. So instead of turning right, we went straight on and found a good stopping point at the village of Rahes. The town have laid big mooring buoys which were strong enough for 'Destiny' and which we could pick up and stay on overnight. These buoys are free and the bay is well protected from the wind. The village is very small but with few cafs and restaurants on the waterfront and a small local shop. The following morning we continued up towards the bay of Volos, the wind had dropped and it was a beautiful sunny day. We found a nice spot in Ormos Vathoudhi to drop the anchor, it was like being on a lake, surrounded by trees right down to the waters edge. The water was nice and clear and we had plenty of swimming. After few relaxing days we made our way back south to Chalkida, with strong wind behind us. Again we waited on the promenade quay for the bridge to open, this time we didn't get the go ahead to pass the bridge until 3a.m. Whilst we were waiting we ran the generator for the oven and the water intake pulled in one of the huge jellyfish that were surrounding us. It didn't take much to remove it from the filter, but by God it stank! Once through, we just anchored on the other side in the lagoon and went to sleep. The following day, August 30th we were baack in the Chalkida's Skippers' Sailing Club.
The next day we rented a car, and collected Ed and Sue from Athens Airport and over the following days took the opportunity of the car to visit the island of Evia, which to me looked like Corsica, mountainous, small roads, small villages, very green, beautiful. We also visited Athens - we tried to get to the Acropolis, but it was Sunday and there were too many crowds, we did though, find a nice small restaurant for lunch. Athens is drab and dirty with graffiti everywhere, not pleasant at all - probably the worst city we have visited anywhere.
Greek Army Athens
Aren't they pretty - tassels and Kalashnikovs. The Acropolis - Athens looks clean from a distance.
For business reasons we needed to take the ferry from Athens to Izmir (in Turkey) with Ed and Sue; so we left the rental car in Piraeus, and took the ferry to the Island of Chios where we stayed overnight (in a horrible hotel) and caught the ferry for Cesme the following morning (We nearly missed it because we were waiting in the wrong place). There a car was waiting to take us to Izmir. We spent 4 days in Izmir, and found time to visit the famous site of Ephesus. (Note - From Athens to Cesme by ferry at 20 knots is about 6-7 hours and Euro30 each, irrespective of weather, to do the same at 6 knots in 'Destiny' would have taken at least 3 days). Ephesus was an ancient Greek city, and later a major Roman port. In the 1st century BC, Ephesus had a population of more than 250,000, which made it one of the largest cities in the ancient world. There we saw the Temple of Artemis, but for me, the facade of the Library of Celsus is one of the most spectacular sights in Ephesus. We did not have time to see St John's Church and the House of Virgin Mary; that will be for next time. We took also the opportunity to visit the marina in Cesme, in view of wintering there. During our visit we also had the chance to visit the Izmir fair, which is rather like a county fair exhibiting all types of things from cakes to buses. We also went to the Asboat boatyard who build 'Diesel Ducks' in Turkey and had an interesting afternoon with Kaya, the general manager.
Efes Efes
The library of Celcus in Ephesus. The main street through Ephesus.
We returned to Chalkis , the same way by ferry, but this time stayed in a better hotel in Chios. Before Sue and Ed left Greece, we had time to return to Athens and visit the archaeological museum which was very interesting and well worth the visit, but I was left with a very bad souvenir of Athens; I was conned by a taxi driver who offered to show us the town but tricked me out of Euro40, I was very, very upset. After our friends left, it was time to continue our cruising. So on September 17th, we said our farewells and left the yacht club for the last time. We waited for the bridge to open, which it did at 11p.m., early this time, and moored on the town quay for our last night in Chalkida.
The English Greek Statue Venus Boy on a Horse
Olympic champion. Greek Champion. My elastic's broken! "2000 year old 'Boy on a Horse'.
The following morning we headed north and anchored in a quiet bay on the mainland side to have a swim and clean the bottom of the boat and propeller (again). Next day, we motored up to Rahes again and picked up our favourite buoy for the night. The plan was to visit a different part of the Gulf of Volos, before going on to the Sporades islands, so we decided to stop on the very small island of Trikeri inside the gulf (pop. 14, with one in the oven), and moored at the end of a pontoon in front of one of the restaurants. Trikeri is a very small and friendly Island, there are only a couple of restaurants, a small shop and a large monastery in the middle of the island. This is a very protected spot, this was confirmed the following day when a strong thunder squall came over, it was most impressive to see how quickly and suddenly the sea became rough with the wind just 100M away without touching us. We had chosen the right spot for shelter. In the evening we dined at the restaurant and had a chat with the waitress , it turned out she was from Poland, married to one of the owners, and was expecting a baby, which meant the island population will increase to 15 people in the spring. Even in such a small place people there was rivalry between the restaurants, which was hindering development of the place.
Trikeri Trikeri
Trikeri - view from the monastery. Tricky arrival in Trickeri.
John had noticed a rumbling noise coming from the prop shaft over the past few days and was getting concerned about it; so we stayed for another day and he decided to see if he could sort it out. Meanwhile I went for a walk up the hill to see the Monastery of Panayia, and took some beautiful pictures from the top of the island. Back on the boat, it seemed the rumbling was coming from the flexible coupling to the prop shaft, but nothing was critical so he decided to let it be, but keep an eye on it until we were somewhere more practical for engineering work. The weather was calmer so we set off towards the Island of Skopelos (in the Sporades) and moored on the town quay of Agnodas, a beautiful little bay, surrounded by trees and very clear water and only a couple of restaurants on the beach. As we were relaxing on deck that evening, a photographer came up to us and asked if he could take pictures of a newly wed couple, on our foredeck - I didn't think that 'Destiny' was such a glamorous boat but they did and of course we agreed; we wished the married couple lots of happiness. (They didn't understand a word of what we said, but it didn't matter).
Agnodas Agnodas
Bay Watch in Agnondas. The clear waters in the bay of Agnodas.
After a cool night (we had 18 in the cabin) I got up early to see the sunrise, such beautiful colors at this time of the year, autumn is here. We left Agnodas and sailed along the Island of Alonnisos. It was a beautiful day, blue sky, blue seas and we anchored in the bay of Steni Valla for the night, a pretty place but full of wasps who weren't invited for dinner. Next day, we continued onto the Island of Pelagos and dropped anchor in Plantinis, on the northern tip. It's a completely closed bay with only a very narrow entrance and a good stopping off point for going up to the northern coast. It was like being on a lake. That evening we were entertained by the crew of a charter boat who we'd met in Agnodas, trying attach a mooring line to shore on a dinghy (charter boats it seems, are there to entertain the rest of the world). Every time they motored their mooring line back to their boat, the outboard would cut out and they were dragged back to the shore by the weight of the rope. This must have happened at least 10 times. Hilarious! Simple pleasure...Must have been the wine... We wanted to visit the 'three fingers', which is the halkidiki peninsulas on the northern Aegean coast. The three are called Cassandra, Sithonia and the famous Mt. Athos. It is not normally a cruising area, and we did found out why later. We had planned to stop in the bay of Koufa at the end of Sinthonia (middle finger). We arrived early in the afternoon after a 50NM hop across the Aegean. The entrance is a bit tricky as you don't see it until the last moment because it's a dogleg into the cliffs. Again it was an enclosed cove with good protection from the weather, but unfortunately we couldn't find a place to tie up or anchor, all of the quay side was occupied with small fishing boats and although the cove was quite small it was very deep, 20M+ for anchoring.
Plantinis Bells Sunset
Deserted Plantinis. Bells of Trikeri. Sunset in the Sporades.
We thought we might have more chances in Neos Marmara, further up the coast so headed on north, but first we went into Porto Carras Marina - thought we might treat ourselves to a marina for the night. We couldn't get through to the office on the radio (helps if you turn the sound up - Ed) so we tied up at the entrance and walked all the way round to the office, only to be told that for one night they charged Euro71! Even in Italy, we wouldn't pay that much, so, much aggrieved, we walked back to the boat and drove to the harbour on the other side of the bay. By now the wind had picked up. Again the harbour was full and after several unsuccessful attempts to moor alongside one of the floating breakwaters, we gave up, by this time just a tiny bit frustrated with the whole damn place. We went back across the bay and tried to drop the anchor off the beach, outside the marina we had tried earlier but for some reason the chain wouldn't run out - 7m and bang it stopped. After several goes, John went down to the chain locker to find out what the problem was. (The chain locker is accessed from the foreward end of the guest cabin, downstairs and up front. We don't go in there very often). John had a lot of difficulty opening the locker. By then we both had enough of this game and were beginning to loose the plot! and I had the feeling that somebody was telling us we shouldn't be here. After a few choice words, the locker decided to stop messing around and opened to reveal the problem - the last time we had lifted the anchor, one loop of chain had dropped through another loop of chain forming a beautiful stop knot, the loop had then decided to attach itself to the door mechanism - Gremlins... I have no idea how many times we've used the anchor before without a hint of a problem, but this time.. Anchor down and a well deserved beer or three. After that, it was a quiet night moored 100M from where they wanted Euro71. Later, after chatting about it we agreed it was getting too late in the season for staying in such remote parts and if each time we tried to stop for the evening it was going to be like this... We had already agreed that we would be wintering somewhere in Turkey, so we decided to head to the island of Limnos (also known as Lemnos), back over on the eastern side of the Aegean sea.
Koufa Sinthonia Mt Athos
The enclosed bay of Koufa. Sinthonia ,Middle finger. Mount Athos, Third Finger!
It was a long leg, we left at 7a.m. with little breeze and saw Mount Athos from a distance. Mount Athos and the penisular that it is part of is an interesting place for a future visit. It consists entirely of monasteries and no boats are allowed to navigate within half a mile of it (you get chased off by patrol boats). No women are allowed on the island and only recently did they start allowing female animals in. The monks are all foreigners (lot of Russians apparently), but they are all given Greek citizenship when they arrive! - Strange place - I threatened to do a strip tease on the foredeck, but fortunately we weren't close enough. After a leisurely crossing we arrived in Limnos Myirina harbour late afternoon found a place on the town quay without any problems at all. I had help from the crew of a very large sailing boat S/Y Saudade who told us that mooring was free, you only paid for water and electricity. It was such a pleasure to arrive in a civilized place where you felt welcome. The ancient history has it, that the women of Limnos murdered all the men on the island after a long time of feeling neglected by their husbands. They chased away their king (Thoas), and ran their island as they liked. When Jason and the Argonauts stopped on the island, they stayed for two years to help in repopulating the island. (A difficult job, but somebody's got to do it - Ed). Limnos has a male population once more! We liked Myrina, the capital of the island; it was blowing a bit outside, so we stayed a while. It's a very attractive town with many reminders of its Ottoman past. We visited the Byzantine castle dominating the town and now only inhabited by deer and rabbits. It was probably an acropolis in antiquity, but what we see today dates back to the Venetians. We walked along the little streets with many stores and where you can buy the local thyme honey, local sweet cakes and the local (very good quality) wines made from the Muscat of Alexandria but cultivated exclusively in Limnos.
Limnos Deer Castle
The island of Limnos. The current occupants of the castle. Limnos Castle.
One evening we were invited to buy fish from the local fishing boat that moored just along the quay from us. I wasn't sure, because I couldn't speak any Greek, but I went for it, with some pointing and sign language I bought the freshest fish and prawns I have ever bought, great! We are definitely coming back next year. After this long break, we had stayed for 5 days, it was October and time to continue south. We were not sure yet where we would winter but we were already starting a 'winter work list', and John was getting concerned about the prop shaft noises. Our next stop was the small island of Estratios where we again tied up on the harbour quay. We met up with a French cruising boat 'Jour de Fte' that we had met in Limnos and since they were planning to winter near Chalkis, we shared our knowledge of the place. That night a cat managed to get into the boat through a port hole, after pushing away the mosquito screen. John chased him out again, but the cat was so scared that he peed everywhere, before he got away, the boat stank. It took a long time to get rid of that smell!
Evstratios Evstratios
The Evstratios guardhouse. Harbour in Evstratios.
Next stop, the Island of Lesvos, the third largest island, facing the Turkish coast - it was our last long leg! Guess what the locals are called - that's right Lesbians!! - One good reason not to live here). We moored in the small Mithimna harbour, it was a nice place once but now too touristic, it had lost its charm and to be fair after Limnos, most places would be a let down. John didn't fancy climbing to the medieval castle, so we didn't.
Next day we moved to the Marina in Mytilini, next to the main town on Lesvos. We were surprised it was empty, we thought it would be expensive but it was reasonable at Euro25 /night. They told us that the marina was only 3 years old but the town had sold it to a new company, partly Turkish partly Greek and they were awaiting new tariffs. Mytilini is quite a big town, probably very prosperous once, as there are some beautiful old buildings along the front. There are also a lot of stray dogs. The harbour is very busy with lots of ferries every day, and the town has some interesting shopping lanes and all types of cafes and restaurants,I also found nice local cakes and sweets. We visited the medieval castle at the top of the harbour, this is a vast place covering about 2000m but nothing remains of the original buildings except an old madrassa and remains of an old church, however the view overr the sea is splendid. The museum was also interesting with the remains of an old roman house and some beautiful mosaics (the first time we saw a roman mosaic of a dragon).
Mytilini Doggy Mytilini Hbr
Mytilini grandeur. You just sit there dear... Mytilini harbour view.
The days were still sunny but the temperature was dropping, so it was time to plan for the winter. We had finally agreed that we would winter in Teos Marina, south of Izmir. We were first interested in wintering in Cesme Marina but there were complications with how much they would charge us and Davut from 'Salty Dog' had negotiated a good price for us in Teos - he was motivated because he needed John to sort out his electronics problems. There was bad weather forecasted so it was time to continue south. We stopped for the night in Plomarion, which is supposed to be the place to buy Ouzo, but we are not very keen I prefer a good Pastis. Again you could see that the town had been prosperous once upon a time. There were a number of big mansions built with a beautiful greenish local stone, just left abandoned. The place was also full of stray cats and dogs. We anchored alongside on the town quay, not many boats, but again friendly people ready to help.
Our next stop was Oinoussa (which we still can't pronounce), which is part of a group of 9 small islands to the east of Chios, close to the Turkish shore. As we came around the point it was blowing about 30 knots but it was behind us for a change so no problems. As we entered the port we passed in front of a bronze mermaid welcoming visitors to the island. In Mandraki harbour we moored alongside the quay. There were just a couple of boats waiting for better weather to go north. The island is the birthplace of several of the most wealthy of the Greek ship owner's, including the wealthiest of them all, Mr Lemos who sponsors the local Naval Museum. The museum has exhibits of old merchant navy equipment, photographs and models of the Greek shipping line vessels and old pieces of weaponry, but what I found most interesting was a collection of about 60 model ships made from bones and ivory built by the French POW's during the Napoleonic wars. The town is typical with small streets winding up the hill, house with rounded corners to stop the wind whistling through the streets, some old and new mansions built by the rich ship owners and a big church on the top. There are few small shops, including a baker whose wife made some wonderful cookies. At the end of the harbour is a large naval boarding school. It looks like it could be a busy place in the summer.
Ionoussa mandraki Ionoussa mermaid
Ionoussa island looking towards Chios. Mandraki harbour. The welcoming mermaid.
Before we went to Turkey we needed a last shopping to buy pork and alcohol, so we stopped in Chios, where we had previously passed through with the ferry. Just north of the main harbour is an unfinished marina that we took a look at but it was too run down so we went on to the harbour where we moored on the sea wall. We had decided to replace our Greek gas bottle with a full one so that we would be stocked up for next season. We asked at a restaurant across the road 'La Boussola', and after some discussion in Greekglish with lady, she sent a young student to show us the way to the shop. After a 15 minute walk up the hill, we found the place and bade goodbye to the student. The shop owner took us back to the boat with his car and we exchanged the bottle and he also took our empty Italian bottle away (more space in the lockers). We went back to 'La Boussola' to thank them and had a coffee before doing our shopping. As we came out of the caf, lo and behold there was a gas delivery truck parked outside, not 50m from the boat!! After shopping we had lunch in the same place, it was so copious that for the first time I had to ask for a doggy bag to take it away with us, we had enough food for lunch the following day, and even that evening we were still to full to eat anything! (That lunch cost us Euro17). When we came to Chios with the ferry we hadn't realized how big and interesting the town was, so we had a good walk around and stocked up on plenty of food that you don't find in Turkey.
On October 11th, we left the Greek shores and entered into Turkish waters. We arrived in Teos Marina in the early afternoon. We had sent an email informing of our arrival, but nobody knew about it. We were allocated a place on the quay not far from the swimming pool! But the problem was that there were no customs or immigration facilities in the marina to check into Turkey. John was very upset about it and we didn't really fancy going back to Cesme for customs clearance. But as usual in Turkey this was not really a problem, it just takes a bit of time and by Sunday we had all the documents signed, we were legally registered in Turkey again. At first we weren't sure if we had made the right choice by coming to Teos - it's a bit quiet, there are very few liveaboards, no happy hours, and limited WiFi but after few days, we decided it was convenient for Izmir and the locals didn't bite; the staff in the marina are helpful; so not such a bad place.
Teos Destiny
Ancient Teos. Destiny resting.
Teos Marina is situated in Sigacik bay. Sigacik is a former fishing village 5km west of Seferihisar the main local town and 50km south of Izmir, surrounded by mandarin and olives groves. Because of the marina, the place is growing very rapidly. Every Sunday inside the old city ramparts there is an open bazaar in the streets where the locals sell a great variety of food and local produce. The ancient site of Teos, which was once a magnificent Greek/Roman port is just up the hill. Not much left of it now though. We prepared to winter the boat, we had a long work list (again), and we met some very good people to help us. John found/was recommended a local engineer to look at the prop shaft problem and as we type, Ozkan is removing the propeller for balancing and in the spring we'll drop the shaft out and change the bearings. On November 1st we left 'Destiny' on the hard and flew back to Lyon. This year was such a different way to cruise, no overnighters, lots of islands, plenty to remember during the cold winter days.
So until next year we wish you all a very Happy 2013!
The Dragon Mosaic.
On to the Next Page
Back to the Home Page